Saturday 21 May 2011

Holy Tourists


  

   Today I visited another market which lies within the walls that separate the religious quarters here in Israel. Because I am not religious I found this to be a very interesting place to observe. I'm actually really liking that I have no religious followings while I am here. Why? This would be because I have an opportunity to observe every religion with 'equal sight'. We walked through the narrow alley ways packed full of anything and everything you could imagine. The air was filled with different incense and oils. Food, cafe's, glass, bags, clothes, everything had it's own shop, it's own hole in the wall.. I mean this literally. I looks like stone walls that they carved out to place shops. Now we began in the Muslim quarter of the wall. Here you could see women selling grape leaves in large amounts sitting on the ground, fresh shawarma everywhere. There were people bushing up to get passed you every two minutes. Everywhere you looked, something different was going on.
 We then made our way down through the alley's into the Christian Quarter.. for me this was the most interesting quarter. SO here I saw the most famous church in the entire world. The church where Jesus is known to be buried along with his mother Mary.
 Upon entering the church there is a breath taking mural of individuals from the bible and laying in front of it the stone in which 'Jesus' dead body lay' while in the tomb.  Basically he was killed on it. This stone EVERYONE was touching it. Priests crying and rubbing their faces on this slab bathing themselves in the oil that the rock is covered in. People would take out crosses and lay them on the stone and cry. Of course I had to touch it, you can't not.  It's about the size of a person in width as well, and about two inches thick. Appeared to be marble?
We moved further into the church (ps. this Church is MASSIVE, I'm talkin HUGE) and there is a giant wooden/stone tomb where Jesus' body supposedly lay. Let me tell you, the line ups to get into the tomb for TWO MINUTES was like four hours long... like insanity. People fly from ALL AROUND the world just to go to this church. That blew my mind.. the things people do for certain belief's.. when you see it you don't know what to say or think.
 (Sorry this post was so long, I just forgot to write yesterday)

ALSO..
 I HAVE to put a word in on this whole "World Ending" crap. Yes it's crap. How do I know this because Israel is the 'HOLY LAND' and if people aren't trippin' here then nothing is going on. If anything the people that know about it only from friends in North America are making fun of how stupid we are. Way to keep a good rep guys... not only will Obama announce a 'solution' for Israel but the world is also going to end and the Conservatives will run Canada into the ground. Greeeaaaat.

Haha oh well.


First Image- Candles lit within the burial place of Jesus Christ

Second Image- Mall (Saturday) Awesome lady in shorts.

No comments:

Post a Comment